Resources for a Healthy Garden, Yard and Landscape
This comprehensive booklet was created by the Ocean County Soil Conservation District as a one-stop guide for all educational resources related to the Barnegat Bay watershed. What began as a simple directory has grown into a compendium of resources and organizations offering numerous programs, publications, field trips, and watershed information that educators can incorporate into their lessons and activities.
Our Educational Resource Page will be updated from time to time with informative, interesting and fun websites for you to visit.
The Ocean County Soil Conservation District has made available numerous resources to help you learn more about healthy soil, native plants, pollinators and more, and to connect with other like-minded groups within the community.
- The Barnegat Bay Watershed Educational Resource Guide
- is an extensive document that shares the contact information for leading environmental organizations serving the Barnegat Bay watershed.
- The Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
- Visit for Dig It! The Secrets of Soil exhibit plus games and other educational activities.
- From The Ground Up, The Science of Soil
- is a website that has many fun activities for families and interactive lesson plans for teachers.
Check out Iowa NRCS newest soil healh video project, a rap tune entitled Don’t Treat It Like Dirt.
- Project Budburst
- is a National Science Foundation citizen Science phrenology program for students. Project Budburst participants make careful observations of the timing of leafing, flowering, and fruiting phases of plants throughout the year and submit their data, which is used by scientists to learn more about how plant species respond to changes in climate locally, regionally and nationally.
- Wild Ones
- a non-profit organization that promotes native plants and natural landscaping, provides information about how to create a natural area in your school yard.
- “Celebrating Wildflowers”
- USDA Forest Service offers puzzles, coloring pages and activities for kids.