Soil is an amazing substance. It is a complex mix of ingredients: minerals, air, water and organic matter – the countless micro-organisms and decaying remains of once living things.
Soil is made of life and soil makes life. It’s easy to take soil for granted, yet it’s one of the most important resources we have.
Find out more at iheartsoil.org
- To the farmer, soil is where crops grow.
- To the engineer, soil is a foundation to build.
- To the ecologist, soil supports and connects ecosytems.
- To the archaeologist, soil holds clues to past cultures.
- To craftspeople, like potters, soil provides clay to make things.
- To the soil scientist, soil is ALL of these things.